Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Grey Knights: The next step for me

After really looking at the army and how it performed against Tau, I have decided to think towards a few changes for the army. If you read my battle report, you will see some repeat information here.

The things I noticed as ineffective were:

The librarian sounds good at 5 points per power, but I found that he didn't use all of them.  I decided to drop warp rift as it has a limited range and didn't come in to effect at all during the game.  His primary roll was to buff his unit and the surrounding units. 

I also dropped a servo skull from the libby.  There are a few reasons.  #1 against shooty armies, I want infiltrators further forward so that I can catapult my army forward through assaulting and consolidating.  This will allow me to get into an opponent's lines without taking too many casualties.  #2 is the self destruct rule.  I found that by placing the skulls, my opponent simply had to move up and in the first turn or two ( I had the bottom of each turn) he was able to neutralize them by getting within 6".  Thus, I decided to keep two in order to maintain some control over infiltrators and scouts, but ultimately by time I would be ready to deepstrike, most if not all of the skulls were already removed. 

The venerable dreads just didn't produce for the points I invested in them.  As I have mentioned, the venerable reroll never works for me, so I decided to drop them and add a third regular psyfleman dread. 

With the points I saved, I added a 5th terminator squad with the same setup as the others with the exception of the MC Hammer.  I needed the 5 points. 

I dropped the incinerator and digital weapons from my GM and decided that another psycannon would be nice to fill out the gap left by my missing 4th dread.  Finally, to provide some flexibility, I added a teleport homer to my libby in the event that I felt that I needed to deepstrike in some terminators. 

So after all changes, this is what my next step looks like:

Grandmaster- MC NF Sword, psycannon, psychotroke and rad grenades- 255pt.
Librarian- NF Sword, 2x servo skulls, Quicksilver, Might of Titan, Sanctuary, Shrouding, teleport homer- 195pt.

5 GK Terminators- psycannon, 2x halberd, 1x MC hammer- 230pt. 
5 GK Terminators- psycannon, 2x halberd, 1x MC hammer- 230pt.
5 GK Terminators- psycannon, 2x halberd, 1x MC hammer- 230pt.
5 GK Terminators- psycannon, 2x halberd, 1x MC hammer- 230pt.
5 GK Terminators- psycannon, 2x halberd, 1x hammer- 225pt.

Dreadnought- 2x TL Autocannon, Psybolt Ammo- 135pt.
Dreadnought- 2x TL Autocannon, Psybolt Ammo- 135pt.
Dreadnought- 2x TL Autocannon, Psybolt Ammo- 135pt.
2,000pt on the dot.

This boils down to more troops, more bodies in general, and for the cost of 1 dread's worth (4) of S8 shots, I have added a possible 8 S7 rending shots.  Ultimately, I think that this will produce more tank kills and make my GM more useful at range.  This also firmly establishes my librarian as a support character and as such will change how I play him a bit, mainly by keeping him out of combat where possible so that I can use him to buff my units. 

Ultimately, for any army with no elite or fast choices, I think the army has a lot of depth as it can compete in all phases of the game.  I do think it will struggle with fast armies, but still stands a good chance of doing some damage as there simply isn't enough AP2 and 1 firepower in most armies to seriously hampers so many 2+ saves. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...