Saturday, October 2, 2010

Speculation


I have committed to making an army with 6 dreads.  That is the bottom line.  However, the competitor in me is really wondering if it will be a solid list or if I am going to constantly be frustrated by devastating loss after devastating loss.  After following such blogs as Fritz40k, YTTH, and 3++  I have convinced myself that it will be my "fun army".  I am afraid that will turn into my nicely painted but rarely played army.  Now, I haven't actually played the list yet as I haven't had time to do much more than start slapping paint on it, but it has me thinking.  So I have been scratching my head to figure out how best to make a 6 dread army and realized that if the C:SM list doesn't work, I have an alternative: Blood Angels.  Yep, that's right.  Blood Angels are the only other codex that will allow you to run 6 Dreads.  So, how would I do it?

The first idea makes the most use of elite and heavy choice dreads, but lacks any really good FNP/FC bubbles.  It is:

Librarian- shield of sanguinius, might of heroes 
Honor Guard-2x power weapons, 2x meltas/storm shield, 1x pistol/CCW, 1 sanguinary novitiate, in rhino

Furioso Librarian- Wings, Shield
Furioso Librarian- Wings, Fear of Darkness
Furioso Librarian- Wings, Blood Lance

6 Assault marines- melta, powerfist/infernus pistol, in razorback with TLLC
5 Assault marines- melta, powerfist/infernus pistol, in razorback with TLLC
5 Assault marines- melta, powerfist/infernus pistol, in razorback with TLLC

Dreadnought- TLLC, missile
Dreadnought- TLLC, missile
Dreadnought- TLLC, missile

With this list, the honor guard are a linch-pin to the army.  They will stay inside the rhino and close to my assault squads to provide FNP/FC.  The long range dreads will stay in cover and provide cover fire.  The Furiosos will wing it across the board to get into combat more quickly.  The librarian will put out a 5+ cover save bubble until I can get in close to trash things. 

In the second list, I have brought death company to include a DC dread.  This will open up an elite slot for my priests.  Here is what it looks like:

Librarian- shield, might

2x Sanguinary Priests- power weapon/pistol
Furioso Librarian- wings, shield
Furioso Librarian- wings, fear

DC Dread- DCCW/flamer, DCCW/melta, in pod
5 DC- 1 powerfist, 1 infernus pistol, in TLLC razorback
5 Assault marines- melta, powerfist/infernus pistol, in TLLC razorback
5 Assault marines- melta, powerfist/infernus pistol, in TLLC razorback
5 Assault marines- melta, powerfist/infernus pistol, in TLLC razorback

Dreadnought- 2x TL Autocannons
Dreadnought- 2x TL Autocannons
Dreadnought- 2x TL Autocannons

In this list, I have the ability to take two priests for better FNP/FC bubbles.  I also have death company who have those things already.  The librarian will more than likely ride with them.  This is backed up by 3 dreads shooting 12 S7 shots, two flying dreads and a podding dread with a melta to apply pressure.  Then, my squads can move up with a 5+ cover save to get into melta/infernus range. 

Alternately, I can drop the librarian status on any of the furiosos in either list and give them drop pods for similar points.  If I did this, I would probably think about putting blood talons on them so that they can mince infantry after popping their transport with their melta guns. 

I am leaning towards list 2 right now, but will have to see.  I am still going to try out the C:SM list, but should it not work, I have a backup plan that will require very few additional models than I already have. Thoughts?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...