Thursday, December 16, 2010

Dusting off the Templars

I have been in a Black Templar frame of mind lately.  So, I thought I would put together a list based on the models I have.  It is a pretty simple list, but I think it works on many levels.  Here goes:

-Emperor's Champion- Accept any challenge- 140pt.

-5 Assault terminators- 3LC, 2 TH/SS, furious charge, riding in a land raider crusader with smoke- 483pt.
-Venerable Dread- TL lascannon, DCCW/storm bolter- 155pt.
-Dread- TL lascannon, DCCW/stormbolter- 125pt.

-Crusader squad- 7 initiates, powerfist, melta, 2 neophytes, frag grenades (you have to buy the stupid things)rhino with extra armor and smoke- 224pt. (Champ's crew)
-Crusader squad- 8 initiates, powerfist, melta, 2 neophytes, frag grenades (you have to buy the stupid things)rhino with extra armor and smoke- 241pt.
-Crusader squad- 5 initiates, 1 neophyte, lascannon, flamer, TL las razorback with extra armor- 206pt.
-Crusader squad- 5 initiates, 1 neophyte, lascannon, flamer, TL las razorback with extra armor- 206pt.

-Dakka Pred- Autocannon, sponson heavy bolters- 110pt.
-Dakka Pred- Autocannon, sponson heavy bolters- 110pt.

So, what does this list offer? 
The EC is the only HQ choice.  Templars rarely need more and usually can't afford more, so this guy will have to do.  Army wide preferred enemy is great.

It has an insanely hard assault terminator squad.  S5, I5 lightning claws?  Nice.  I always take more lightning claws when it comes to BT because our storm shields suck.  4++ only in combat is no good, but the thunder hammers help a bunch.  This unit is super nasty if it hits, but still has to be played well because melta and AP2 shots make it a sad panda.

I have 2 strong combat units in the rhino squads.  These will go forward as fast as possible. to get in your face and smash face and melta stuff.  The 2 razorback squad will protect my home base while my dreads rove around threatening mech, especially the tank hunting venerable with the S10 TL lascannon. 

The preds round out my shooting base.  It sucks that they cost 25pt. more than vanilla dakka preds, but what can you do, right? 

So I end up pumping out 4 TL lascannons, 2 missile launchers, and 2 autocannons.  I have three combat threats that I can throw forward aggressively to pressure my opponent and to cause close combat damage. 

With new FAQ rulings, I can also go to ground when I get shot at and if I take damage, I can pop up and move in my turn since righteous zeal allows me to hop out of going to ground.  It is a sweet deal. 

The name of the game here is to open up mech and drive my terminators home at the biggest threat on the field.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...