Sunday, November 20, 2011

Laying Down the Beatstick, Blood Angel Style

So, I've really been missing my terminators.  Currently, my two most played armies as using power armored troops more than their more heavily armored brothers.  In my Space Wolf army, I generally use a single cyclone missile terminator and my Blood Angel army uses assault marines and Sanguinary Guard. Of course, I always use my terminators in my Black Templar lists, but I just haven't been in the mood to get those guys out lately. 

That got me to thinking about how I could put them into a Blood Angel list, as that is the easiest army I play to include them in currently.  To that end, I wanted to put together a nasty beatstick army.  Of course, Blood Angels are already a beatstick, but I wanted to go whole hog.  This is what I came up with.  Thought will follow afterward.

Space Hulk Terminators courtesy of dakkadakka

Mephiston- 250pt.

5 Assault Terminators- 3x lightning claws, 2x thunder hammer, riding in a Crusader with pintle melta- 470pt.
3x Sanguinary Priests- 2 naked, 1 with a jump pack- 175pt.

10 Assault Marines- 2x meltaguns, powerfist- 235pt.
10 Assault Marines- 2x meltaguns, powerfist- 235pt.
10 Assault Marines- 2x meltaguns, powerfist- 235pt.

Landspeeder Tornado- multi-melta, heavy flamer- 70pt.
Landspeeder Tornado- multi-melta, heavy flamer- 70pt.

5 Devestators- 4x missiles- 130pt.
5 Devestators- 4x missiles- 130pt.

2,000pt on the nose

So, why is this a beatstick and how does it work? 

It is meant to force close combat.  There is enough pressure from my anti-mech elements to force my opponent to move to midfield to engage.  8 missiles, deepstriking assault marines and 2 deepstriking multi-meltas will force opponents to either turtle and pray I don't get to them with my combat troops or they will have to come forward or spread out to negate the effectiveness of my guns.

The real core of this army though are Mephiston, the terminators, and the assault marines. I am basically going to use the LRC as moving terrain to block LoS to my assault marines and Mephiston, moving everything forward at full speed.  Then when I am close, the units jump out and kill stuff.  Plain and simple.  Pretty one dimensional, but definitely fun to play.  I am betting that most armies won't be stupid enough to move within retaliation range to melta my LRC, because if they do, counter-assaults and consolidation moves will move my pissed off marines into their faces.  To that end, the LRC will move up as fast as possible every turn, so that if it does get shot down, it is close enough for everything to jump out and start the killing. 

Ideally, the LRC will deploy the shortest distance from the bulk of my opponents' armies and move forward.  Mephiston and a single assault squad will shadow the LRC to get cover and benefit from the Sanguinary Priest's aura (he'll be riding with the terminators).  The other foot priest will babysit my devestators making them very unappealing to shoot at.  Finally, my speeders and other 2 assault squads (with jump priest) will deepstrike in to cause as much damage as possible with their meltas and then in assault. 

It's simple and straightforward.  I know that occasionally, I will run into trouble, but I hope to have enough threats on the table that even should one die, the others will make it to combat and cause some damage.  It isn't the most balanced list, but it sure looks fun to play.  Let me know what you think, especially if you have played a similar list before.

I'm sure some of you are wondering about my progress with coming to grips with Dark Eldar.  I hope to have a proposed playtest list soon.  More on that at a later time.   

Some Battle Reports:
Space Wolf Razorspam vs. Horde Orks- a Vassal Report
Sanguinary v. Grey Knights
Vulkan Ain't No Joke
____________________________________________________________

Did you find this article useful? Subscribe to Gone to Ground for more great updates.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...