Friday, September 2, 2011

Chasing a Tangent

We are spending the long weekend visiting some relatives out of state, but not far enough away that we had a good 5-6 hour drive.  That allowed me to do a bit of zoning out, a bit of thinking, and a bit of Thoughthammering(registered trademark).  I find myself thinking about 40k a lot and this drive was no different.  I chose to listen to the 11th Company for a bit while my wife and son were asleep.  It got me thinking of an old idea. 

I started this blog several months ago with the idea (in my second post no less) for an army of 6 dreadnoughts led by a Master of the Forge.  It was to be my second army, the first being my Black Templars.  It actually took on several incarnations.  As time went on I moved on to other armies.  Having played a bit with Black Templars and Codex Marines and then having moved on to Space Wolves and Blood Angels to gain more experience from a competitive perspective, I kind of want to go back and revisit this idea.  I love the idea of an army of massive behemoths laying waste to their enemies via large quantities of heavy weapons and crushing close combat claws. 

That's where you come in, readers.  I want to seek some help from you.  I want to open up the floor for suggestions for a dread army.  The requirements are easy.  It must be Codex:Marines.  It must be 2,000 points.  It must have a Master of the Forge.  It must have 5 dreadnoughts minimum (giving you some leeway for an elite or heavy choice other than dreads).  So, let me hear your thoughts.  I have an idea, but I don't want to unveil it until I get a few comments back.  I am interested to see what you can come up with.  AbusePuppy, Lord Rao, some of you other guys, I am ready to receive the benefit of your wisdom and knowledge. 

Hit me with your best shot.



Some Dreadnought Army Battle Reports:
Test drive....bumpy
I'm an idiot
Putting the First Feather in the Cap
__________________________________________________________

Did you find this article useful? Subscribe to Gone to Ground for more great updates.

2 comments:

Student Teacher said...

HQ: Master of the Forge + Conversion Beamer

HQ: Space Marine Librarian in Terminator Armour

Elite: Dreadnought Twin-Linked Autocannon x2

Elite: Dreadnought Twin-Linked Autocannon x2

Elite: Terminator Assault Squad TH/SS

Troops: Tactical Squad Melta/Lascannon
1 Razorback Lascannon and TL Plasmagun

Troops: Tactical Squad Meltagun/Lascannon
1 Razorback Lascannon and TL Plasmagun

Heavy Support: Ironclad Dreadnought Heavy Flamer
1 Drop Pod

Heavy Support: Ironclad Dreadnought Heavy Flamer
1 Drop Pod

Heavy Support: Ironclad Dreadnought Heavy Flamer
1 Drop Pod

1985 points.

Dave said...

I really like this list with a few twists. As I mentioned in my latest post, I am not sure that Ironclads do well in a dread heavy list as they don't have the range to pressure opponents constantly and there just isn't enough stuff in a dread list to force opponents into a corner. That said, I love your troop choices and I have fairly similar view on HQ loadouts, though a MotF with beamer on foot is hit or miss as he can't move and fire it. Put him on a bike and he is golden! Definitely some good ideas here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...