Thursday, January 12, 2012

Starting Something New: Having a Cohesive Plan



I started the year out with a few articles about how to be successful in trying new things in the hobby, whether that be painting a new army or starting a new gaming system.  Doing these things isn't that hard, but as I mentioned ad nauseum in both articles, it takes planning.  Luckily, planning is pretty easy if you take the time to look around and ask opinions/advice and seek information.  With blogs and forums in an abundance this is fairly easy to do.  Everyone has an opinion on how to play a given game and unlike excuses, not every one stinks.

Not all plans are equal though.  Anyone who knows how to create a successful plan will tell you that a plan has to be created based on a successful vision.  The vision is the end result of what the plan hopes to accomplish.  It is what carries your efforts through to completion.  The vision can be elaborate or it can be simple.  Any vision requires a few things though.  It needs to be realistic, viable and it needs to ultimately be a success.  No one plans a vision that ends in failure.  That would be plain stupid.  Why do the work to achieve a failure?  The plan also needs to be viable meaning it is possible.  Sometimes our eyes get bigger than our abilities.  That said, if you want to develop a new skill, definitely try it out, but try to sustain viability.  Finally, be realistic.  Most plans crash and burn because there just aren't enough hours in the day.  Be realistic about how much you can accomplish, how difficult the task is and how attainable your end result will be.

That said, I thought I would give an example of a plan I am working on to get my Protectorate of Menoth army up and running.  Having done the research, I know that the Privateer Press seems to really be organized with their competitive play.  I have heard about the steamroller 2012 rules pack and understand that in most cases you need two armies, each with a different caster to compete in most events.  I have done quite a bit of research on what it takes to build synergy to really make a Menoth army dangerous. So, it's time for a plan.

The plan is simple really. I need two solid 50 point armies that will provide enough competitive edge, that I feel that I can stand a decent chance of winning a handful of games.  I don't have to be a tournament winner right out of the gate.  These armies need to be painted in short order, so if I can use the same models between the two armies, I can really make things more efficient from a time and monetary perspective (warcasters aside, obviously).   Finally, I need to get plugged in to the local Warmahordes scene at my LGS, so that I can get some experience ASAP.

There is one fairly glaring hole in my plan, though it should fill in quickly with experience.  I have a relatively limited understanding of the abilities of other factions, so my army and strategy building are also in turn limited. 

Overall, this is a simple plan.  In fact, it is one that I have already started.  Thus far it has provided quite a few benefits.

1) Monetary savings- between researching units/models and different strategies, I have decided on a relatively limited amount of models to buy, build, paint, and play.  Between this and using Bartertown and Ebay, I have come out a significant amount cheaper than I would if I were to build another 40k army (sorry GW your stuff is expensive).

2) Time savings- In relation to #1, I don't have so much stuff to build and paint, so as a result I draw nearer to a completed plan faster.

3) Less Frustration- Let's face it.  Buying a model because you thought it looked cool or misunderstood its uses only to have it relegated to your case/mini display is a headache.  Having a plan has really helped me a lot in this regard. 

To bring things into perspective, I decided to give Warmachine a try around December 15th.  Almost a month later, I have the majority of the models I need purchased, most at 50%-60% of retail.  I am currently painting the models with a good handful (two warcasters + 3 warjacks) already completed.  I have also decided on two lists that probably don't look all that extraordinary, but I think they will work out quite well. I have decided to settle on the 50pt limit for building out my army initially.  This gives me the benefit of being able to play at lower points limits just as easily.  So, here are the lists that I have chosen to build and play.  I would love any feedback that I could get on them.

(* denotes models I currently have purchased)

List 1- pSeverius @ 50 points

*Grand Scrutator Severius +6
- Blessing of Vengeance -7
*- Reckoner -8
*- Vanquisher -8

*Avatar of Menoth -11
*Max Choir -3
pEiryss -3
Gorman -2
*Max Temple Flameguard + UA -8
*Covenant -2
Vassal Mechanik -1
*Vassal of Menoth -2
3 Wracks -1


List 2- Harbinger @ 50 points

*Harbinger +5
*- Crusader -6
*- Reckoner -8
*- Vanquisher -8
- Heirophant -2

*Avatar of Menoth -11
*Max Choir -3
*Max Temple Flameguard + UA -8
*Covenant -2
Vassal Mechanik -1
*Vassal of Menoth -2
Rhoven and Bodyguard -4

I think both will play to my strengths as a player.  They will also provide a good array of threat to opponents that simply can't be ignored, but also allow me to provide counter punch should my opponent try something.  They also contain two of the most powerful casters we have as a faction.  Ultimately, I think I will be pretty happy with these lists and can then buy additional models as I desire variety. 

It's my hope to have everything above completed at least by mid-year.  Hopefully, I can get some smaller, casual games in for the time being as I learn more. 

So, a good plan starts with a good vision.  Get that vision, build your plan, and stick to it to see success. 

Other Warmachine related articles:
Crusader Heavy 'Jack Completed
Warmachine the Way I See It: Part 2...err kind of
Warmachine the Way I See It: Warcasters
___________________________________________________________
Did you find this article useful? Subscribe to Gone to Ground for more great updates.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...